Monday, May 10, 2010

And then there were FOUR!!!!

No pictures this time but I just wanted to officially announce.......... HE's HERE!!! Asher Bryant Howell was born at 10:16 am Tuesday, May 4th. He was 4lbs 12oz, and 17 and 3/4 inches long! Tomorrow will mark his one week Birthday! My cutie baby had lost only one ounce before he starting gaining again! He's up to 4lbs 13 oz, the size Harley was when SHE was born!!

This morning I was packing my lunch when I got a call from the NICU.

"No problem with Asher, just wanted to let you know we'll be moving him out of the NICU to Intermediate Care upstairs in about a half an hour."

(HOOORRAAYY!!) I was so excited I grabbed my hot chocolate, threw my stuff in the fridge and headed to the door. It was kinda drizzly, and because I walk from The Tree House(apartment building provided by hospital for families) I keep my umbrella handy. With open umbrella and cell phone in one hand, and purse and hot chocolate in the other I attempt to tell Bryant the good news when SLIP..., "OUCH!!!!!"..., CRASH!!! My cell phone goes flying as I slip on newly wet concrete stairs! Hot chocolate in my lap and with no hands to catch my misfortune, my left forearm takes the fall! I wish I had a camera to show my battle wound because I have a HUGE(okay it's not huge, but it feels like it!) goose-egg/bruise, and my body is super sore, like I tried to follow Jenna on an eight mile run(haha)! Luckily I somehow managed NOT to hurt my incision. (THAT could have been bad...)So today was mostly a great day and Asher's doing amazing! OH...! We got to practice breast feeding for the first time today and he did pretty good. Mostly he'd try for about 30 seconds and then fall asleep but it's a start! Mom came up to visit today and Asher had lots of eye openings and smiles to share. He's already very fond of his Grandma! Tomorrow morning we start trying to feed twice a day so I'm going to get ready to crash for the night. 7 am comes early to tired mom's. I'll keep ya posted!!!! Thanks to may amazing family and friends who've helped in all the big and small ways. Without you I would not have made it two weeks on bed rest and this week away from my family. Thanks and Love to you all, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Zach said...

Hey Manda! We're so glad everything is going well for you and Asher! Sorry you fell! Keepp up the great progress and thanks for keeping us up to date! Love you!

Deb says, "When it rains it pours; no pun intended."

mamaseversike said...

Hooray for Asher! He's a fighter, that lil' guy. I'm looking forward to seeing him without all the robot wires! ('specially that one in his head, I don't like that guy) Don't forget you had surgery--- no more falling, dozens of flights of steps....take care of YOU too!

Jeff Peterson said...

I am so excited for you. I am glad that he is doing well. I can't wait to see pictures. Get your rest and enjoy the full night of sleep before he comes home.
Krissa (Not Jeff he was logged on already and it is too much trouble to change)

joni said...

Congrats Amanda! You've been through the wringer. Glad to hear things keep getting better and better.

Jennis said...

Oh man I hadn't seen this one yet. I love the way you say and with no hands to catch my misfortune, I thought that should be written in a book somewhere. GOOD ONE. Sorry you took one for the team but happy your incision didn't suffer... Man what a morning. :)